Pages

Thursday, April 2, 2009

My Day In Brief

Oh man! When you least expect it is exactly when the unexpected happens. My father who wintered in Florida arrived back to his home here only a couple of hours ago now. So I was driving by and saw that he had returned, and so I stopped to help him and his galpal unload their vehicle. After being completely "slobbered" over by Moe (a male St. Bernard belonging to my Father) I carry several bags into the house and my Father decides to turn the water back on as it had been turned off when the house was winterized in December for the season. Suddenly I hear water running in the living room and there should not be sounds like that coming from that room. I run in and water is just pouring from the ceiling onto the furniture, knickknacks, and onto the carpet! I yelled for him to turn the water off (he is either hard of hearing or has selective hearing, not sure which) He heard me and turned the water off. However, due to a broken pipe above, the ceiling was full of water and continued raining copious amounts of water down on everything in the room including me. I ran to other rooms and back grabbing as many trashcans, pots, pans, and anything possible to catch the water. I figured that would mean a little less water damage to deal with later.
I thought the water would never cease falling all over and damaging everything in the room. It has now stopped and My Father is awaiting the arrival of the plumber to start on fixing this mess!
Some welcome home for my Father. As frustrating as having such an incidence occur is, I wish my Father could find enough balance in his life that he would not let things get to him the way they do. Of course, since he does, his impulse is to react negatively to anyone with the misfortune to be in his presence at the time. Luckily, I have found balance in my life. Therefore, I no longer allow his descent into "the crazies" drag me down into the murkiness with him. I remained calm and made no offer of argument over his blaming me for the broken pipe. I was merely his closest target to vent his anger out on. Without me, adding fuel to the fire by defending myself and arguing back with him like I used to, he eventually wore himself out and his tirade ended.
I hugged him, told him I was sorry this has happened, and reminded him that it was all fixable,and that "crap" happens. I finished with an "I love you" and Hannah Lilly (my pooch) and I headed on to our house.
That is where I am right now as I am writing this post from my home office. I will call my Father in awhile and see if the plumber is there and how things are progressing.
I spent the morning writing articles for clients. I am hoping for an uneventful and relaxing evening. However, if my Father needs help with any clean up: I will head back to his place this evening.
Share what you did today.

No comments:

Post a Comment