Pages

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Giving to Others...Gives Back to You

Giving to others really does give much back to you. Just a little while ago, an opportunity to “give” of a little bit of my time and my sincere caring for another came about while reading an RSS feed from another blog, that I am quite fond of and check almost daily. The author of that blog shared with readers that one of her children had unfortunately experienced the loss of a beloved pet rat this morning.

Having loved and lost my share of animal companions over the years. I know how attached we become, and how much it can hurt when their time on earth ends.

I do not know this family and that really does not matter. We can all help and give to family, friends, neighbors, and even people who are, and that may always remain strangers to us.

I decided that I wanted to convey words of comfort to the child and his or her family on the loss of their much-loved pet, in a more personal way than leaving those words in the comments box section of the blog.

It hit me that an e-card would be a great way to deliver a message of caring to them. I chose a sweet one with flowers and music, and that included a very nice sentiment, to which I added my own words in the message box provided, as well. It only took me a few minutes to find, personalize, and send an e-card to let them know that someone they do not know, cares.

What has such a simple act of kindness given back to me? I feel good about reaching out and offering caring and comforting words to a family who faces are unknown to me at this time. Who ever knows when or if the life paths of others may meet up with our own path in this life, or the one after that? The good feeling I got from doing this has also picked up my mood, which was wavering towards the doldrums earlier, with several writing projects on my plate today.

For me, giving to others always gives a lot back to me. I try not to let any opportunity to help others in a meaningful way whenever I can, slip away. I do this because the benefits for those that I can help and for me are just too great to pass up.

If you have stories of random or other acts of kindness that you would like to share with community members, please feel free to do so using the link to the comments section, located at the bottom and to the right of this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment